Just like the human body, the roof on your home needs a check-up at least once a year.
Your roof protects you from the elements and keeps your family’s home safe. Small repairs can become a larger headache for your home if they are left untreated. A professional roof inspection will help determine any weak spots that may need attention now.
Checking your Roofs Vital Signs
Your professional roofing contractor has a list of items to check off when they are inspecting the health of your roof. They will inspect the roof, inside your home and attic space, as well as from the ground around the house. The roof’s vital signs will help your inspector determine if there is a need for repairs and recommend any preventative maintenance that may be needed.
Check Up List:
- Looking for Leaks
- Flashing and Caulk – Caulk can harden and peel away and flashing can rust and move—both allowing water to get in.
- Loose, Buckling or Missing Shingles – Wind and storms can pull and tear shingles.
- Gutters and Downspouts – It is important to make sure these areas are clear to prevent water build-up and damage.
- Chimneys –The flashing and caulk around the chimney can become damaged allowing water to leak in.
- Ceiling Discoloration – Any discoloration on your ceiling can be a sign of a leak or damage to your roof.
- Cracks – Cracks can be a sign that the ceiling is sagging or that there may be a problem with the decking.
- Attic Ventilation – If there is not proper ventilation the attic will become too hot, causing buckling in the shingles.
- Sagging – Sagging can occur in-between the rafters.
- Exhaust Fans and Vents – In the attic, the exhaust fans and vents run through to the roof. If there is any shift in the flashing around them water can leak in.
Your inspector is looking for damage done by storms, wind, and trees that are close to the home. Wind can pull up and tear shingles, and cause trees to rub up against the home exposing parts of the home to harsh weather.
If it has been over a year since a professional roof inspector has been up on your roof now is a great time to schedule a free inspection with Accord Construction Inc.